Do you or someone you know flip out when driving in heavy rain, a dusting of snow or accumulating ice here in Louisville, KY? To help you keep your auto repair costs to a minimum, the team of ASE-certified auto mechanics and service advisors at Tony’s Brake & Alignment put their noggins, driving expertise and local experience to the task of sharing tips to safely navigate our mixed terrain, weather and road conditions.
Here are some tips the staff at Tony’s Brake & Alignment believes can help you outperform the postman, when it rains, sleets or snows:
- Be aware — Weather and subsequent road conditions can change suddenly and often. So be aware, alert and ready to adapt. Tune your radio or activate a phone app to keep current with trouble spots, hazards and traffic advisories. Plan your route and keep an eye out for other drivers who may be sliding, hydroplaning or worse. And drive smart: keep your lights on to be visible, your fuel tank far from empty to stay warm, and slow your vehicle speed and increase following distance according. Like the adage says, in bad weather, haste makes waste.
- Be prepared — Sometimes, no matter what you do as a driver, trouble finds you. Prepare like a boy scout for more common scenarios by storing a “go” box in your vehicle’s trunk. Fill it with season- and condition-appropriate emergency supplies, such as including flares, extra water, wiper fluid, blankets, candles and some healthy snacks. Should you encounter a road delay, closure or get stranded, your basic creature comforts will be covered. Driving defensively is also a very prudent strategy, since road debris, flooding, and other hazards can be problematic. For instance, watch this video to see what damage driving through a pothole can do your vehicle. They’re hard enough to avoid in good weather, let alone when disguised by a puddle or snow.
- School your skills — If you’re not confident in your driving skills, new to the varied terrain of the Louisville region, or are a new driver, it’s a good idea to get schooled in the skills to more safely handle inclement weather and encounters with other motorists in trouble. Google “Louisville driver training for bad weather” and you’ll find a list of driver training providers — ranging from the Kentucky State Traffic School to professional drivers — that can help you hone vehicle handling skills for challenging weather and road conditions. Your on-road confidence and the peace of mind of those waiting for you to get home safely will benefit.
- Sing along: It’s all about the base — If you’re into fitness, you know how important maintaining your footing and core are for personal safety. Wipers, wheels, brakes, steering, suspension, fluids air conditioning and heating and lights comprise your vehicle’s equivalent for driving safe in all conditions. Going ostrich on basic vehicle maintenance is an invitation for trouble; bad weather ups the ante.
- No one likes yellow snow — Pardon the imagery, but if you see colored snow under your vehicle, or a film on puddles, your driveway or garage floor, your vehicle is bleeding. Power steering, brake, coolant and other fluids are integral to the proper, safe and dependable operation of your vehicle. When they leak, your drivability in any weather, let alone rain or worse, is compromised. So is your safety.
- Prevention is the best medicine — Mary Poppins needs to add a verse about how just a spoonful of prevention it helps your major auto repair costs go down. It really is that simple, yet there are times get busy in our lives and necessary preventive maintenance gets back-burned. Let Tony’s Brake & Alignment be you all-season trusted auto repair shop. Our auto mechanics have the training, tooling, equipment and other resources to keep your vehicle bad weather-ready. And everything we do is backed our warranty to 3-year/36K-mile nationwide warranty
Whatever the weather, please consider Tony’s Brake & Alignment as “go to” shop. We’re your local NAPA AutoCare Center and Michelin Alliance Dealer for Louisville, Shepherdsville, Shelbyville, and other nearby communities. We genuinely care about our customers, and if you look at our customer reviews, it shows. Give us a call, schedule an appointment online, visit us at 4800 Poplar Level Road, Louisville, KY 40213, Monday to Friday, between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM.