We all remember how exciting it was when we first got our driver’s license! For many of us, our driver’s license signals our first step into adulthood. We can’t wait to test our newfound freedom on the open road. However, that freedom comes with a price -- we have to learn how to handle new situations and possible problems as new drivers.
The team at Tony’s Brake & Alignment has put together a list of five things all student drivers need to know. We encourage you to share these tips with your teen driver, and we are always happy to answer any questions you may have:
- What to do when driving in the rain: First, turn on your headlights, taillights, and windshield wipers. Next, slow and steady always wins the race. Slow down and keep a healthy distance between you and the car in front of you, just in case of any sudden stops.
- What to do with a flat tire: If you notice your vehicle has a flat tire, pull over to the side of the road immediately, even if the tire will be completely destroyed. We recommend calling roadside assistance and letting them change your tire for you.
- What to do if the check engine light turns on: We recommend not ignoring the check engine light if it has appeared on your dashboard. The check engine light is your vehicle’s way of trying to tell you that something is wrong and needs attention. If you notice any sudden changes in your vehicle’s performance, odd noises, smells, or even smoke, contact our team immediately for assistance.
- What to do in an auto accident: If your vehicle is drivable and there are no severe injuries, you can turn on your emergency lights and pull safely out of traffic. You should call the police to report the accident and make sure to exchange insurance information.
- What to do if you are driving in a new area: Make sure you pay attention to road signs. These road signs are instructions that help you learn how to drive on an unfamiliar road in a new community. Keep a close eye on these if traveling someplace new.
Another vital part of being a new driver is learning how to take care of your vehicle, which is where the team at Tony’s Brake & Alignment comes in. Schedule an appointment today for maintenance and auto repair. Tony's Brake & Alignment is located at 4800 Poplar Level Road, Louisville, KY, 40213. We look forward to seeing you soon.