Even though winter may be almost over, Mother Nature certainly isn't finished -- Louisville is notorious for it's Spring rains. In fact, Kentucky is the third most dangerous state for driving in the rain. We all heard of the saying, "April showers bring May flowers," and March is the perfect time for a reminder of how wet and rainy Louisville can genuinely get.
A national safety organization, SafeWise, analyzed the number of fatal car crashes caused by the rain, and the results were alarming -- Kentucky had 67 fatal car crashes caused by the rain in 2016. Only Mississippi and Arkansas ranked higher than Kentucky. The team at Tony's Brake & Alignment is here to remind of several simple steps to take when driving or preparing to drive in our potentially dangerous Spring rains:
- Before driving anywhere, make sure to clear any ice and snow from your windows.
- Make sure you always turn on your headlights and taillights for visibility.
- When changing lanes and turning, make sure to use your signals.
- Following the twenty-second rule, we recommend staying twenty seconds behind any other cars in case of sudden stops.
- If your vehicle starts to slide while driving in the rain, turn in the direction of the slide.
- When driving in the rain, slow and steady always wins the race!
Bring your vehicle to Tony's Brake & Alignment for an inspection -- your tires, windshield wipers, fluids, lights, indicators, and brakes need to be in pristine condition for the upcoming Spring showers. You have to pay close attention to your tire’s tread -- if you do not enough tread on your tires, you will hydroplane more easily. You will not be able to brake or steer as safely if your tires don’t enough tread. We recommend bringing your vehicle to our shop for a tire inspection.
Louisville may be notorious for its heavy rains. Still, there are several preventive measures you can take to stay safe, including a visit to the technicians at Tony's Brake & Alignment for an inspection. Schedule an appointment today for preventative maintenance. Tony's Brake & Alignment is located at 4800 Poplar Level Road, Louisville, KY, 40213. We look forward to seeing you soon.